Sunday 9 March 2014

The Trend | Lip Lacquers


It seems like a new company every month is launching their version of the lip lacquer that is very on trend at the moment. If I'm not mistaken, I think it started with YSL's Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stains and it's baby sister L'Oreal's entry into the drugstore/chemist market made the whole trend much more readily available to a wider audience. Then with Rimmel's Apocalips, it's like glossy stain mania all around!

Seeing as I have a few from different brands, I thought I would do not so much a review but an overview of what I have in my collection. My first entry into the glossy stain market was a purchase of the YSL because at the time there was such a big amount of hype in the blogoshphere and YouTube arena that I thought, hey they look interesting.. There is very little difference between these and the later released version by L'Oreal except for maybe lasting time but seeing as they're under the same company umbrella, some similarities are to be expected. With these, they look best layered so the first coat appears fairly sheer and creates the stain and one or two more coats creates a beautiful opaque glossy stain that lasts for hours as well as pretty well through eating, drinking and talking.

Rimmel's Apocalips however, are more a one swipe, opaque jobby and aren't as staining as they YSL or L'Oreal. Apocalips have received a ridiculous amount of hype so I'm sure you're aware of their existence but it is definitely well deserved. These things are very good especially for a 'drugstore' product. Each time Priceline or ASOS is having a sale these are one of the first things I gravitate towards and add to my existing shades. They're just too easy to throw in your bag and pop on during the day or throughout the evening for a beautiful, glossy lip in 2 seconds. The applicators on all of these are similar doe foot applicators which make it easy to create a nice curve on the upper lip and get into the corners of the mouth. In fact, the L'Oreal and YSL are exactly the same.

Last of all is Lush's addition with their 'Fresh Handmade Colour' that can be used all over the face so as a blusher, eyeshadow or lip colour. The two shades I have, I've only ever used as lip colours and I bought them with that intention. The launch of these products came with that fun wheel that you and a Lush assistant spin with your eyes closed and you pick colours and those colours have meanings which are meant to be applicable to you and your personality (See, this is where companies get me with gimmicky launches and interactive things like this) So naturally I bought two of the shades which I found completely applicable to me and happened to love the colours as well. These too come with a doe foot applicator and, like Rimmel are opaque within one swipe and are foolproof to apply. They last for hours and because it's Lush are fairly natural and 100% cruelty free so extra thumbs up.

YSL Rouge Pur Couture no. 16, 21

L'Oreal Lip Shine Caresse (L-R)  no. 300, 402, 101

Rimmel Apocalips (L-R) - Big Bang,  Stellar,  Nova,  Luna, Nude Eclipse

Lush Handmade Colour- Decisive, Passionate
From these swatches you can see that in terms of one swipe payoff, Rimmel probably comes out trumps but in terms of lasting power and less transfer then the other three brands- L'Oreal, YSL and Lush would get my vote in that respect.




Follow me on Instagram- @beautylocale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin