Tuesday 20 January 2015

The Empties # 1 | Haircare & Beauty

In the corner of my room, I've been hoarding empty packaging of hair, beauty and skincare products for the past couple of months and it wasn't until I thought it was overflowing enough and I pulled everything out in front of me that I realised just how many products I had accumulated. So I've split this post into two parts- haircare and beauty then next up will be all the skincare empties. I will say though that I have been making a conscious effort to finish products that I've had for a while and use up samples and minis that I've been accumulating in my stash as well.

With that being said, I'll get into it! I won't write too much on each product or you'll start to see visible signs of ageing as you're reading it so I will do my best to keep things short and sweet- just a brief low down to let you know whether I loved or didn't love it. I really enjoy watching these videos and reading these types of posts; it's great to get a rounded up opinion on a whole heap of products that you can see people have actually used up and finished!

Haircare- 


L'Oreal EverSleek Shampoo & Conditioner: I've gone through multiple bottles of both shampoo and conditioner in the EverSleek range- they work really well for my hair maintaining frizz and keeping things a little more.. sleek as the name would suggest! Within the range there are two subranges- Smooth & Tame and Smooth & Repair; to be honest, didn't notice a huge difference between the two except Smooth & Tame isn't as creamy and rich so feels a little more lightweight in the hair.

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Liquid Shine: I've done a blog post that went more in depth about this product but I purchased it on recommendation from Amelia Liana who most definitely has enviable locks and I did see a difference in the appearance of my hair and would repurchase.

Beauty- 

Urban Decay 'Chill' Setting Spray: The second bottle of this that I've gone through which says enough really. This setting spray is designed to work with temperature control in mind but not sure how it really does that, some fancy technology I suppose but regardless it does keep my makeup looking fresh all day.  At the moment I'm using the 'Deslick' spray and I think I actually prefer this one.

Bobbi Brown Creamy Corrector:  I did have a shade before this but it was too light and too old so I repurchased in a shade that actually matched me better and I am on the fence about this product. Some days I thought it was the bees knees and covered my dark circles like no other, then others I felt it looked cakey and didn't even cover that well considering how thick it is. I liked it but I didn't love it or find it holy grail like I know so many others do.

The Body Shop Instablur: This is another product that I think you can tell how I feel from the amount of times I have included it in posts or featured it on my Instagram. This primer worked really well for me and for a moment actually took the place of my beloved Hourglass Mineral Veil primer. Regardless of the seriously affordable price, this product is the bomb.com, I definitely recommend it.

Jordana Best Lash Extreme Mascara: The cheapest and one of the best mascaras I've ever used. First saw this on Lauren Curtis' channel and not that I like my lashes as big as she does hers necessarily, I'm hooked! I've lost track of how many tubes I've gone through. It works really well, keeps a curl all day and is easy to remove. I buy mine from either Beautyjoint or Cherry Culture and it's under $5.

Australis Lash and Brow Extender: aka brow gel.  May as well stay on the same trail, another recommendation from Lauren Curtis and as I'd always used mid-high end brow gels I thought it was about time I tried a drugstore offering; this does a fabulous job of keeping my brows in place, some have said it's a bit too crispy and crunchy for their liking but I don't really find that.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer: A fantastic and affordable concealer and actually an old favourite, I remembered when I bought it more recently that I've in fact gone through a couple of tubes of this already. It has good coverage, comes in a good shade range for a drugstore product and can be used all over the face.

Too Faced Shadow Insurance: A deluxe sample that came in the Beauty Blogger's Favourites box that I was kindly given by one of my best pals. I used this after running out of the Urban Decay Primer Potion and in comparison to that, they're quite similar in texture, colour and application. In saying that though I think I prefer the UD one, it did more for me in terms of mattifying and keeping the shadows looking super fresh all day.

Simple Eye Make-Up Corrector Pen: A fantastic idea in theory but the annoying thing with this design is that you have to clean the nib after each use so not fantastic if you're in a rush or on the go because if it's not clean things can get more messy instead of fixing your mistakes but it did work well for the first few uses.

Maybelline Master Shape Brow Pencil in Soft Brown: I've gone through quite a few of these now and I really like them (well, duh). The pencil has that waxy consistency so it does a good job of putting the brow hairs into place as well as filling in the sparse areas. I did still use brow gel over the top but it was a good extra hold. Colour was a great match for my medium brown hair, only thing is that they can be a bit difficult to sharpen as the pencil itself is waxy.

Bourjois Liner Feature Felt Tip Eyeliner: To be honest I'm actually just throwing this one away because I think it's had it's day and even in it's day it didn't do wonders for me. I found it a bit dry from the beginning and difficult to use because of that. I also didn't think it had great lasting power and transferred onto my eyelids. Soo.. sorry Bourjois liner you weren't the one for me.

So there we have a quick roundup of my most recently used up hair and beauty products! Some were firm favourites, some were not so much but their appearance was appreciated in my stash. Keep an eye out in the next few days or so for my skincare empties. Let me know if you've used any of these products and your opinions on them as well.                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin