Saturday 24 January 2015

The Empties #2 | Skincare

This surprisingly is the larger portion of this empties series. As I said in my Empties #1 post which covered haircare and beauty, I have been stashing these products for well over a month and as well as this I have been making a conscious effort to finish those last few drops of products that I've pushed to the back of the drawers and using up samples and things like that. So here we have the skincare selection, some of these products I loved and have repurchased already, some were ok and some are necessities of life.

Like the last post, I'll do my best not to ramble and give you ridiculously long rambles and make things as succinct as I can!

Lush Fresh Face Masks in Catastrophe Cosmetic & The Sacred Truth: I've paired the two together because both worked well but Sacred Truth was actually for my Mum and it is catered more to mature skin if I'm not wrong. Catastrophe Cosmetic on the other hand worked absolute wonders for my pores and I saw a visible difference immediately after using this mask. Can't rave enough- love!

Lush Tea Tree Water: A toner I use in my evening routine, aimed at oily/combination spot-prone skin. There is debate over whether toner is actually necessary but I like it, I use one morning and evening and find this one is especially great after I've applied a face mask to just spritz over the skin, make everything feel super fresh and close up those pores again! This has already been repurchased and I see it being a staple in the bathroom cabinet for a while.

Indeed Laboratories Pepta-Bright: A serum that targets pigmentation and skin clarity and I did feel that this made a visible difference to the appearance of my skin. I applied it both morning and evening and once I got over the smell, I really liked it. It restores luminosity, targets dark spots, pigmentation, aids with hydration and just generally evens out skin tone. I have a few other similar products in my stash to get through but I would repurchase this in the future.

The Body Shop Seaweed Cleanser: The Seaweed range is one that I'm familiar with and have used years ago. It targets oily, blemish prone skin so it's right up my alley. After making my way through a fair amount of cleansers that I found just ok, I returned to the Body Shop's Seaweed range and thought I'd try the cleanser for my evening routine. Boy, am I glad I did. It's now my go-to, it removes the remainder of my makeup (after a cleansing water) like a dream, doesn't leave my skin feeling tight and uncomfortable and I think has helped with the recent improvement to it's overall appearance.

The Body Shop Nutriganics Drops of Youth Serum:  A sample I was given at their Summer beauty launch and a product that my mum actually purchased the full size of, I thought I'd give this sample a whirl in between my usual evening serums/oils. I applied this onto freshly cleansed skin and it sank it nicely and left my skin feeling hydrated. Only used it for 2-3 evenings until the sachet was caput but I did like how it felt. Might 'borrow' this from my mum from time to time..

GlamGlow SuperMud Face Mask: A purchase for when you're #feelingspendy, the SuperMud mask is unlike any other mask I've used before. This has well and truly done the rounds in the beautysphere so I'm sure you've seen how it works. Claimed to be used by Hollywood starlets, this mask draws out impurities in front of your eyes. You can see it focusing on blackheads, pesky spots and the like as it dries darker in those areas. When you rinse it off you can see an immediate difference and it always left my skin feeling smooth and clean. I've moved onto the newer PowerMud at the moment but I'm certain I will repurchase this in the future!

Garnier Micellar Water: Bioderma's more affordable and previously more readily available sister. Could I call her a twin? I think I could. I don't find enough difference between the two to always warrant paying double or triple the price for Bioderma. This does a great job of removing my face and eye makeup but I do always double cleanse with a liquid cleanser to ensure every single trace of makeup is gone.

Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve: As someone who is a little OCD about washing their hands, things can occasionally get a little dry. I am generally a big fan of the L'Occitane hand creams and have always loved those but a peruse through the David Jones beauty hall lead me to Kiehl's. I felt that I needed something even stronger for the evenings and this well and truly hit the mark. It is quite thick so I wouldn't recommend it for during the day as a lot of people can find that uncomfortable but for before bed, this is a dream! Fixed up my hands within a few days.

Origins Super Spot Remover: If you're victim to a pesky spot or two then you need this in your life. I have gone through a large number of these over the years and I love it. It dries up spots quickly without drying out the surrounding skin too much. This bottle may look small but that goes along with the fact that you don't need a lot at all, just the tiniest amount applied with a clean finger overnight or even during the day if you fancy and you'll notice a big difference within hours.

Mario Badescu Drying Lotion: May as well stay on topic while we're talking spotty pals. A serious cult product, the Drying Lotion is amazing for those more stubborn spots like whiteheads or cystic pimples. You know the ones that just seem to want to camp out on your face for the next trillion years.. yeah those. Apply this with a clean cotton tip, leave on overnight and you may not see immediate results but over time (even just a couple of days) trust me, you will.

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair: A sample that somehow made its way into my drawers but I have tried this a couple of times now. It gets raving reviews from beauty bloggers, vloggers and professionals and I do always like it when I use it. Underneath moisturiser, it feels like it's doing a good job of keeping my skin hydrated, improving texture and appearance. Only thing that's held me back from buying full size is the price and I've already had similar type products in my stash like the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate.

Skinstitut Laser Aid: Not sure if this is TMI for some people but yep, I get laser hair removal. I haven't mentioned it on the blog before, not for any reason I guess there just hasn't been an appropriate post. I go to Laser Clinics Australia and have been for I think 18+months now. I can honestly recommend it and there is definitely a huge difference. I'm not at the point where I feel I can stop going completely but I do go quite irregularly now and more just when I feel the need to. If you're interested I would say wait until they have a sale on (which is a lot of the time) and buy a few sessions in one go. Feel free to ask any questions but I'm definitely no expert!

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat: This brand seriously made the rounds on YouTube I would say maybe 2-3 years ago and lucky for me and I happened to be travelling to France around then. I stocked up on the cult products that people had been raving about and haven't looked back since. Effaclar Mat is a more recent addition to the stash but this is probably one of the first moisturisers I've felt actually mattified my skin and kept oils at bay. I only use this during the day and generally only in the warmer months as I like to use something a bit more hydrating in winter and also don't mind as much sheen. This is fantastic and affordable- win win!

NUDE Skincare ProGenius Treatment Oil: A sample from MeccaCosmetica either with an online purchase or Beautyloop box, this sat in my backups/new products drawer for a while but when I ran out of my beloved Kiehl's Midnight Recovery, I reached for this. A pretty decent sized sample first off and I did feel like it did a good job for my skin. Didn't irritate, left my skin feeling nourished and was a good temporary addition to my evening routine. Definitely would consider purchasing in the future.


3 comments:

  1. I love empties post. Need to do one asap so I can throw it all out!

    DAISYPERSON | BEAUTY BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post so much! You named so many of my favourite products like the Origina Super Spot Remover and Mario Badescu Drying Lotion and even the Lush Tea Tree Water. I love using it too but I'm not sure if it does anything hahaha. I've also tried some of the Slinstitut range and I love their glycolic cleanser and scrub! Loved this post so much I can really appreciate how much effort you put into all the writing!

    Sarah | Bows & Pleats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like we are women of good taste in skincare and products in general! I get what you mean about the lush tea tree water, who knows if it is a gimmick product but I'm going to play along for now! Thank you for the lovely comments, you are too too kind!!

      Delete

Follow on Bloglovin