Wednesday 2 April 2014

A Few March Favourites

Can't believe we're in April already, this year seems to be speeding by which is both worrying and exciting because the end of the year has more exciting things for me to look forward to! Thought I'd share with you a few of my favourites that I've been enjoying not only throughout March but this year to date as I haven't done a 'favourites' post as such yet. I do often post my thoughts and mini reviews on my instagram (@beautylocale) if you prefer more tidbits and brief reviews/thoughts on products I've been using.

To prevent this post from being thousands of words long, I'll just give a short-ish review and try to make my thoughts succinct. Yeah good luck Millie, aka Queen of Rambling..



Alrighty first up I'll talk about the newest addition to L'Oreal's base range- Nude Magique which is a recent launch for us Aussies but I'm pretty sure was launched maybe even last year for the Northern Hemisphere. This is definitely receiving mixed reviews from what I've seen but I'm really enjoying it so far. I find it hard to get a foundation that I love, doesn't break me out/irritate my skin, is a good match and lastly doesn't make my skin extra oily. This is described as a liquid to powder formula which I've definitely found. It is a very watery consistency but when applied does turn to a more powdery finish but not cakey-powdery. I have shade #120 Pure Ivory which is the lightest shade in the range and a pretty good match for me. (For reference I'm a MAC NC 15-20). This has pretty good lasting power, doesn't break up too badly throughout the day and *touch wood* hasn't reacted with my skin.

The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette. *Insert heart-eyed emoji* Honestly I wish I could make that face in real life because everything would be communicated so much more easily. I was excited that they brought out a trio palette so I could get a taster for these powders as individually I think they run for around $62 and the palette came in at just over $100 from memory.. Absolutely love Dim Light for giving my skin that diffused look and evens out texture beautifully. Incandescent Light is a beautiful highlight shade for more evening type looks on the high points of the face without shining like a disco ball. Again from Hourglass is their most recent release- the Ambient Lighting Blush which I have in Dim Infusion, a beautiful coral with lighter tones marbled through it. No exaggeration I think I've worn this 99% of the days since I purchased it and I was not disappointed. Again there's a lot of mixed reviews on these I think mostly because of the huge hype that was created and so therefore I guess people have high hopes but I for one, am in love and want more. Oh dear.

Mario Basdescu Drying Lotion; I have heard so much about this product on YouTube and the like but since I found my holy grail Origins Spot Remover, I didn't think I needed it. I was wrong. I find this is really good for spots that I can feel lurking under the surface waiting to pounce whereas the Origins one I like more for spots that have already surfaced that need drying out. I like to apply the Drying Lotion to any spots or whiteheads that need aren't necessarily visible but I can feel and know will eventually come out. Anyway gross talk over, the stuff is good and very effective.

My Inglot Freedom Palette that I put together at the Bondi Junction store in Sydney at the end of last year. I wanted something that if necessary, I could throw in my bag and would have everything I need to do my makeup on the go. More and more I was finding myself having to do my makeup on the train, well at least my mascara if i had to run out the door. Now I have learnt to better manage my time but I still reach for this palette almost every day for an easy 'everyday' eye for work. The colours are all neutral, so right up my alley and I find they complement my eyes nicely. The quality is definitely comparable to that of MAC and Urban Decay and these run for around $10 each plus the palette but still well under the price point of MAC in Australia.


This past month I've really been loving lipgloss for everyday, especially at work I do a lot of talking so I find lipglosses to be a bit more hydrating and comfortable for a long day. No surprise, like every other beauty junkie I've been in love with the NYX Butter Glosses. I have a few shades, love them all and everything about them. In the past I've really not been into lipgloss much (Check out my lipstick tag, I wrote more on this) mostly because of the tacky feel and that overly glossy look it's just not for me but these have absolutely changed my mind. They feel really nice on the lips, very smooth not gritty and not tacky my lips definitely don't get stuck together when I'm wearing these. Continuing on the lipgloss chat, during Priceline's 40% off sale I picked up one of the new Maybelline ColourSensational High Shine gloss in 110- Mirrored Mauve. At first I wasn't sure about the smell but it's grown on me and now I'm just trying to figure out what it actually reminds me of.. definitely something sweet I'm thinking a soft drink or lolly but every time I wear it I'm still trying to pinpoint what it is!

I've also been really conscious of my hair looking a bit dry in recent months so I bought the L'Oreal EverCreme Deep Nourishing Masque to go with my shampoo and conditioner because I knew I loved those already and this is no different. I use this at least once a week depending on how many times I wash my hair and just leave it on for a few minutes after shampooing, rinse it out and that's it. It doesn't take 10-15 minutes like a lot of others do which is one of the reasons I love it so much. I can honestly tell a big difference in my hair, it's less frizzy and feels a lot softer.

Last of all is a perfume I've been loving which is YSL's Manifesto. I bought this for my mum last year when I was in Europe because she'd asked me to but there was no tester when I bought it so I just went on her word. Obviously I didn't open it before I gave it to her so had no idea what it smelt like but then everyday she wore it I was like I need that it smells sooo good! So, I put it on my Christmas wishlist and I was lucky enough to be given it. I just got a 30mL size becauseI had wanted to keep it in my handbag but the bottle is quite heavy and I didn't want to forget about it. I'm almost halfway through already, which considering how many perfumes I have on rotation at the moment is pretty impressive and a sure sign that I love it. It's top notes are bergamot and green notes with base notes of sambac jasmine, sensual woods and vanilla. That is probably quite useless sorry.. I just took it from the YSL website. If you're in a department store I advise you to go and give it a sniff!

A few little extras I'll throw in are some albums I've had on repeat on my ipod, in my car and on my laptop so I think I like them a little bit.. Beyonce's self titled album is amazing, I'm definitely not the first one to say it so I won't ramble on about it. Also, Pharrell's new album GIRL which I bought the other week off iTunes and I really like the whole album. It's quite different from the single 'Happy' which is the only song that's been released. There's cameos from Justin Timberlake and Alicia Keys and I've just really been enjoying it.

There are so many more but I won't keep rambling for now, I'll just reserve my thoughts for later down the track..

Regular posts on Instagram- @beautylocale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin